What Does A Chiropractor do?
For nearly 22 million Americans, visiting a chiropractor is a regular part of their health care. Over one-third seek relief from chronic lower back pain. If you’ve never gone to a chiropractor, you may have questions about what to expect at the chiropractor, when to see a chiropractor, available treatments, and costs.
- What Does A Chiropractor Do?
- How Much Is A Chiropractor?
- And What Is A Chiropractor Anyway?
Read on to learn more about this unique health care practitioner and how chiropractic treatments can relieve your chronic pain, stress, and more.
What is a Chiropractor?
A chiropractor is a health care practitioner specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular disorders. Chiropractic care focuses on manual adjustments to the spine, ligaments, and joints to:
- Relieve Pain
- Restore The Movement And Function Of The Body
- Prevent Misalignment From Turning Into More Severe Health Problems
Chiropractic care strives to educate the patient on all aspects of their health, including ergonomics, exercise, nutrition, and general wellness.
When to See a Chiropractor
Chiropractors treat various disorders and conditions that involve joints, muscles, and ligaments, including chronic pain management. Managing chronic pain in the neck and pack is a significant part of chiropractic treatment. Manual adjustments also relieve the pain and discomfort from:
- Migraines and Headaches
- Repetitive Stress Injuries
- Sports Injuries
- Work-Related Injuries
- Auto Accidents
Improving your body’s ability to function efficiently also boosts the body’s ability to heal itself.
How Often Should I Go to the Chiropractor?
The frequency of chiropractic treatments depends on your unique health and physical needs. Generally, if the condition does not grow worse under chiropractic care, a standard chiropractic treatment program lasts between two and four weeks, with treatments three times per week.
Types of Chiropractic Treatments
Manual adjustments are at the heart of chiropractic treatments, with most adjustments involving spinal manipulation. Most chiropractic techniques are either:
- Manipulation: The most recognizable form of chiropractic care in which a forceful, high-velocity thrust results in an audible crack or pop of the area manipulated
- Mobilization: Gentler than manipulation, this technique is often used on patients who have medical conditions that precluded more forceful manipulation
In addition to manual adjustments, chiropractors may offer other types of treatments and services, including:
- Physical Therapy
- Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression
- Injection Therapy
- Laser Therapy
Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment
Chiropractors understand that many different factors can affect your health, from nutrition and sleep quality to exercise and your environment. When treating your body for pain and misalignment, chiropractors help your body to naturally fight disease and injury at the source instead of only treating the symptoms.
- Treat Pain: Chiropractic care can help relieve muscle, joint, and bone pain caused by misalignment in the musculoskeletal system.
- Reduce Stress: Chiropractic treatment relieves stress on your body, both physically and mentally. It relaxes tension in the muscles and aligns your posture, reducing the effects on your overall well-being that poor alignment can have.
- Promote Circulation: It improves circulation and lymph flow, boosting your immune system and encouraging your body to rid itself of toxins and impurities.
- Improve Mood: Finally, chiropractic treatments enhance your mood because when you feel healthier, you feel better mentally and emotionally, too.
Chiropractic treatment may also ease anxiety, increase your range of motion and flexibility, and improve sleep quality.
How Much Does a Chiropractor Cost?
The cost for a chiropractic session varies greatly depending on various factors like:
- Where You Live?
- The Extent Of Your Adjustment
- And If Any Other Tests And Exams Are Required.
Sessions range between $30 to $100, with an average cost of $65 for a general spinal adjustment. First visits may cost more as your chiropractor may perform an overall health consultation or take diagnostic X-rays.
Other services, called modalities, that chiropractors might offer to include:
- Massage Therapy
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Other Treatments For Chronic Ailments And Tension Reduction
The average price for a massage therapy session is $40 to $45, while an initial acupuncture visit may cost as much as $150, with follow-up visits of $60 to $70 per session.
Contact a Chiropractor in Lakewood, WA
Dr. Thomas Young of Lakewood Natural Medicine & Chiropractic has worked with thousands of patients suffering from chronic pain and other health issues, bringing advanced therapies and a holistic approach to every patient’s treatment.
If you are still wondering “what does a chiropractor do?” or would like more information about how chiropractic treatment could help you, call Lakewood Natural Medicine & Chiropractic to request an appointment today.